Chocolate and Pets

 

Cats:

Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine.

 

Each cat is different with sensitivity levels to caffeine and theobromine so contact your vet immediately. It may vomit and have diarrhea in small amounts. In bigger amounts, they may have increased thirst, restlessness, and tremors. If the amount is large enough it can have seizures and die.

 

Type of Chocolate Min. Amount toxic for an 8 lb. Cat

milk 1.14 oz

dark 0.5 oz

semisweet 0.5 oz

baking 0.2 oz

(Some say white chocolate is not a concern but I wouldn’t chance it)

 

Do not force your cat to vomit, only a vet can do this safely.

 

Dogs

Severe signs are likely to occur above 50 mg per kilogram. Because there is a bigger difference in sizes and weights in dogs than cats, a large dog could eat larger amounts to become ill.

 

Clinical signs of chocolate toxicity usually occurs within twelve hours of eating the chocolate but can also happen sooner. Signs can be vomiting, diarrhea and possibly a swollen belly. In more serious cases it may include increased thirst and urination. High toxicity would include stumbling around, shaking, seizure and death. Chocolate attacks the nervous system so they will shake their heads a lot.

 

If you suspect chocolate toxicity take them to the vet or animal ER immediately.

 

Prevention:

1. Keep all chocolate out of reach of animals.

2. Make sure everyone in family as well as guests understands the dangers of giving chocolate in any

amount to a pet.

Create Your Own Website With Webador